Saturday, January 29, 2011

Things I've thought about this Saturday

- I've decided to call my gray hairs blond. They don't seem as offensive that way.

- Mary asked me tonight if I was going to watch a big movie or a round movie after she went to bed. Ha,ha,ha, I think we might be one of the few that still own a VHS player. Sure makes it easier to borrow movies from the library, since there seems to be NO waiting list for those. The positive side is that she can pop it in the player and it immediately starts playing, the negative side is if she lets it run all the way to the end, it plays static and that seriously freaks her out. She has to scream and cry because it "hurts her ears." Uh, hello? Your screaming and crying hurts MY ears. I will say, she has learned that once the movie is over, she immediately turns off the t.v. to avoid the static. I can live with that.

- Adam and Mary are so similar, yet so different when it comes to sleeping. They both go down really easy for naps and bedtime (I am blessed) and they both wake up waaaaay to early in the morning (Hmm, maybe not so blessed). Especially since Doug's out of town, I've noticed their obvious differences at night. If Mary wakes up with a bad dream or what not (which she seems to do quite frequently) crying and calling out for us, all I have to do is hold her and she immediately calms down. We sit in the chair in her room for a few minutes and then she easily goes back to sleep. Adam rarely wakes at night, but if he does it is sooooo hard to get him back to bed. He knows how to put himself to sleep. I always put him in his crib wide awake. So I don't understand why it's so difficult if it's the middle of the night. Sometimes I let him cry it out and self soothe if it's just a whiny cry. Other times, it really sounds like he's scared and I need to check on him. The instant I pick him up, he stops crying, so I know he's not hurting, but the instant I put him back in bed (even if he's fallen back asleep in my arms) he starts screaming again and this time is 10 times worse...he's super ticked off. I've had to walk out and let him scream it out till he goes back to sleep. It's rough, it's nerve racking, it's confusing. I just don't know. Thankfully, he doesn't do it very often. Hopefully, it will stop as soon as he can start to tell us what's wrong. Luckily, Mary seems to sleep through, even though she's just on the other side of the wall and this is a tiny house. I'm crossing my fingers and knocking on wood that I haven't jinxed myself for tonight. I would like a good night's sleep. It's been rough the past couple of nights, since Mary's had nightmares again. {sigh} Goodnight.

No comments: