AKA, Mary, my highly imaginative daughter declared that tonight we could call her her that. Wait. Let me back up...
I'll admit, we're a t.v. watching family. I used to watch waaaay more than I do now. I tend to think a lot of my change is because I want to be a good role model for the kids. Doug doesn't watch much at all, but the computer is his vice. Anyway, I let Mary watch some age appropriate shows in the morning when I'm particularly fuzzy and the coffee hasn't yet kicked in, but then we turn it off because, "We don't want to get smooshy brains. We want healthy brains from books and puzzles and playing outdoors." I've found that using this reasoning not only prevents whiny temper tantrums, but it's teaching Mary self control about her t.v. viewing. If she really wants to watch a Barney movie, she'll decide what's more important, Barney or Sesame Street? Because she knows she can't watch both, she decides which is more important and seems to enjoy the program more. At least that's what I tell myself. Tonight, Mary and I worked on puzzles before bed. She grabbed the 60 piece ocean one that Grandma sent. She said, "Grandma sent me this hard one because she knows I have a smart noggin." Ha, ha, ha! Kids. After finishing it, she gave me a high five and a fist bump and declared herself a "non-smooshy brain". Somehow our crazy mother/daughter banter turned into her telling me I can call her "Kevin, my non-smooshy brained turtle". Ah, the mind of a 3 1/2 yr old.
So this New Year's Day, we reflect upon all the good things that have happened this past year, we hope to learn and grow from the disappointments and we pray we always remember and cherish the funny little moments that make us smile. Hello 2011!
Love,
Kevin and family
1 comment:
Sure was fun talking to Kevin tonight. Definitely not a smooshy brain.
Post a Comment