Thursday, April 1, 2010

How often in my life will I ever get a chance to meet a celebrity? OK, maybe not a true celebrity, according to Doug, but someone I at least watch on TV. Tyler Florence had a meet and greet book signing at Kadena Air Force base today. Luckily I went to the BX last week and saw the advertisement for it or I would never have known about it. I was unsure if I would go, since it was scheduled from 1600-1700 (4pm-5pm). The base is about a good 20 minutes away, I'd have to stand in line with 2 kids and we usually eat dinner at 5:30. However, I did enjoy watching Food 911 when we were in Hawaii and The Food Network is one of my favorite channels. Too bad we don't get it here. I have to settle for 2 cooking shows at 6 and 6:30 am and I'm usually vetoed for Sesame Street by the rug rat. So, leftover potato soup pulled out of the freezer, kids packed in the car and off we went. I figured if we got there and the line was too long, I could be satisfied that I at least tried.

Can I admit that I actually got butterflies in my stomach when I saw him walk in the building? I was buying a cookbook for him to sign when I looked over and there he was plugging in his laptop. I guess he can't go long without e-mail. Thought I'd snap some pictures in case we couldn't get any closer later. His trip was sponsored by the US Navy, so he was wearing a USS George Washington hat.



We waited in line for about an hour and 15 minutes. I will say I got nervous. There was a rumor that he was leaving right at 5pm even if there were people in line. We had been standing there since 4pm on the dot and I knew we'd never meet him before the deadline. Lucky for us, he stayed longer and didn't look like he would deny anyone. Mary was awesome. I know it must have been hard for her to be so patient, esp. since my being in a hurry, I left the diaper bag in the car which had all her snacks. She only had a cup of water on the stroller. I thanked her for her good behavior with a chocolate chip cookie from the coffee shop on our way home and an episode of Bob the Builder on DVD.
Doug told me to ask Tyler when they're sending over Giada. Ha! He'd probably be the first in line for her signature. But today, it was all about me. Thanks Tyler for coming all this way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yea, Kendra. Glad you got to meet him. Yea, Mary and Adam for letting Mom have this treat.