Monday, March 8, 2010

The wonder-ful wonder museum!

I'm always looking for an indoor place to take Mary for rainy days or during the summer when it's too hot to even breathe here. Well, today we discovered the wonder museum at the Okinawa zoo. The zoo is tiny and the perfect size for a toddler. Lots of areas to run around and not too many animals, so their attention doesn't waiver. It's also pretty cheap...roughly $5 for me and free for kids under 4. I've noticed the museum, but never thought about going there. I've been hearing great things about it lately since it's all "hands-on" (good for my kid who has to touch everything in sight). Not only is that a great thing, but so is the price...I bought the zoo's season pass $20 (which is good for a full year) and it came with 5 free passes to the museum. After I use those, it's only approx $2 each time. What a cheap and fun way to spend a few hours!

4 mommies and 7 kids met this morning. All of us have one thing in common, our husbands are away on trips and we needed some camaraderie. Of course, if you've been reading my blog lately, you'll notice we haven't been stuck at home. Getting out helps me keep my sanity. But I regress, so back to today...Here are a couple of photos while we were waiting for Janelle, Adelle and Maggie to arrive. Adam looked so stinking cute in his reindeer coat one piece thing (whatever those are called). Jacqueline wasn't so sure she wanted to be photographed with Mary and Jessica.
This huge chair was hilarious. The kids were so excited to sit on it, that the mommies decided we needed a turn.
They even had a tiny chair right next to the big one!

Next we moved on to the cool children's reading room. Unfortunately, all the books were in Japanese (go figure), but there were kid friendly areas to lounge and read and just get comfy.

There was also a play area to dress up in animal costumes.

The last stop was the science room. They're too young to understand the science behind all the activities (and none of us could read the Japanese to explain it to them), but they enjoyed getting to touch, explore, play and best of all, not hearing us yell, "don't touch that!"

What a great morning adventure. Now that I have the season pass, I promised Mary as soon as the weather clears up, we'll come back and see the animals. Coming soon to a blog near you...

No comments: