Oh boy, Adam has officially found his thumb. We never had to deal with this with Mary, since she was a part time pacifier user (at naps and bedtime). I remember being nervous about her getting too dependent on it. I had heard the horror stories of kids who wouldn't part with their Binky's. However, at 15 months, we just told her she was too old for it and took it away cold turkey. 5 days later, we were pacifier free. Easy! So when Adam was born, we had no doubt we would use a pacifier. Heck, I find myself "plugging him in" frequently during non-napping hours. So here's our dilemma. Do we pull his thumb out and push the pacifier in or do we let him suck his thumb? I will say, he still likes the pacifier most of the time, so the thumb hasn't been fully incorporated into his daily schedule...yet. I've decided to list the pro's and the con's to see if that will help me decide.THUMB:
pro: it's hand-y con: easy to remove a pacifier from his world when we want to wean him, not so much with the thumb (or at least not socially acceptable).
pro: Don't ever have to worry about losing it, having it fall on the ground or search for it in the corners of the crib in the wee hours of the night when it falls out of his mouth, he wakes up and realizes it's gone. con: He'll be the cute big eared boy in elementary school that constantly sucks his thumb (and don't even get me started on the buck teeth he'll develop). Oh, that will be one seriously funny looking kid.
Hmmm, maybe I'm making a big deal out of nothing. Who knows, he's only 13 weeks 6 days old. He might wake up tomorrow and realize his foot tastes a whole lot better than his thumb and then this blog will be moot. Can you imagine all the teasing a kid will get sucking on his foot at school?
No comments:
Post a Comment