Sunday, August 7, 2011

Yes, We're THAT Family

Sitting still and being quiet in church has always been a challenge for us.  We're used to backpacks of toys and markers and stickers and cars and books.  We bring water bottles and cheerios.  We bribe with delicious donuts and fruit and veggies in the fellowship hall after the service.  Things were a bit different today.  We're still in a hotel.  Mary's backpack of goodies is at the house.  Church starts at 9, an hour earlier than in Okinawa.  We were in a rush, so I forgot water cups and the only snack I had was a loud package of trail mix (that's out of the question).  We went to a new church.  We wanted to make a good impression (at least I did.  The kids could have cared less).  They were busy.  Adam was super duper wiggly and whiney.  Mary seemed to have forgotten the meaning of "whisper".   After the kids removed and flung everything out of my wallet and were desperate for more entertainment, and right before I was seriously contemplating grabbing the kids and running, a guardian angel handed us 2 tote bags filled with books and toys.  Ahhhh!  The tag on the bag said "Little Angels" to help them stay occupied in church.  Ha!  Should have said, "Little Hellions".  The church keeps these bags by the front door and you just grab one as you come in and drop it off when you're done.  Fabulous.  They were a life saver...or church saver.  I think I'll try to at least remember their drinks next week.  Luckily, we'll be in our house.  Thank God.

No comments: