Monday, May 18, 2009

And so it begins...

I read an article on line about potty training your kid in 3 days. The process seemed a bit grueling, not to mention daunting. It sounded kind of like one of those magic diets where you cut out a major food group completely and then slowly re-incorporate back into your life but only after your body has gone into complete shock. The food group in this process is the diaper and the complete shock is that she goes without one for 3 days (except for naps and bedtime). You're supposed to have her run around in your house naked from the waist down and then toss her on the potty as soon as you start to see a little trickle of something on your floor or heaven forbid, something more solid. The idea is that they learn pretty quickly that they don't want to be wet and they can feel it more if there isn't a pamper soaking it all up. One of the biggest drawbacks, besides baby excrement all over my floors and carpet, is that on day #1, we have to stay in the house ALL day. Yikes! Mary and I would both go stir crazy. So, I guess you can tell, I'm not all gung-ho on this method of training and think I'll just figure it out as I go. I would like Mary out of diapers for at least a little while before baby #2 comes along, but I have plenty of time. Oh, and if you haven't heard, the next one is due Christmas Eve! Back to the story...so this morning, I was feeling a little brave. Mary came to me and told me she needed to "poop". I felt her diaper and she hadn't gone yet, so I rushed her to the potty. No luck, but she really has fun sitting on it. I think that's a big positive. I decided to try the whole naked from the waist down thing. Pretty funny seeing her running around with just a shirt, but then I stopped laughing when she started sitting down on things. Yikes, the articles didn't say what to do about stuff like that. It just seems wrong for her to be riding on her tricycle commando. Thank goodness she didn't get on the couch (she must have heard the panic in my voice). And thank goodness everything she sat on was easily wiped down with a disinfecting cloth. The end result was a toddler that enjoyed a bit of diaper freedom for an hour and a half, a mother that helped her child on the potty twice and made it seem like the best thing in the world, and a house that escaped any baby accidents. Yea! Sorry, lady who wrote the article, but I couldn't do any longer. We were already stir crazy and I felt I was testing my luck with the couch, and the rug, and the chair, and the cat (don't ask).



2 comments:

BevMom said...

I really enjoyed reading about your hour and a half of potty training. I can picture Mary riding around commando on the tricycle. That's the part that made me laugh out loud. Can't wait to read the next installment in the "potty wars." Good luck to all of you.

Unknown said...

Hey guys - Congrats on #2! Hope Mary decides she wants to be potty trained soon. Cause it don't happen until they want it to. Lilly was about 2 1/2 and Lia was FOUR! I'm telling you, 2 year old poop is way cuter than 4 year old poop. So, good luck!